Tuesday, August 2, 2011

This is it

Now that we are home, all I seem to think about is when I will get to return to my other home in Guatemala. Someone said that in Guatemala, they work to live, in the U.S. they live to work. How true that rings. There is a different feeling between my two homes. I love them both but crave the simplicity of Guatemala.
I never, ever thought that I could live for three months with  no hot water, no microwave, no dishwasher, no washer or dryer, being dependent on bus schedules, watching the miserable dogs, and not being able to put used toilet paper in the toilet (learned that one the hard way), BUT I did. I would do it all over again, a million times! I wont miss the bugs, the garbage, or being charged double because I´m white. I will miss the food, the markets, the simplicity of life, the beauty, the language, trying to beat the record of fitting nine adults in one car, being close enough to walk anywhere, people watching in the park, bumpers falling off cars when they drive over a bump, the unity the people have and shared with us, the freedom to drive down a one way street going the wrong way or even on the sidewalk, or to hang out the side of a bus. The thing I will miss the most  (by far!!!) is the people. I will miss being greeted by a kiss or handshake by everyone I come in contact with, the way they made us feel so welcome and special everywhere we went, and the lifetime friends we have made.

2 comments:

  1. Great memories!! Things that you will never ever forget. So wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont think my last comment worked:( so ill type it again!

    so happy for you that you were able to experience this!! its fantastic you took the opportunity and ran with it! and good on ya for keeping record of it all! you will grateful you did:) and ps sorry for my grouchy email:( still can't believe i sent that!

    ReplyDelete