Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fun weekend...

We had a great weekend! Hope the same for all of you. On Friday we went to Panajachel/Lake Atitlan again. We loved it so much the first time that we wanted to go back and spend more time exploring. It is much warmer there than in Xela and we were also in need of some heat! The only bad part was, of course, the bus ride. Not only is the bus ride bad enough, but when you add that I was up the entire night before, hugging the toilet because I ate salad (I really, really miss salad!) it was not pretty. I think I can confidently say that that was the worst bus ride of my life. BUT, it was so wonderful when we got there!! We stayed in a bungalow that was surrounded by beautiful gardens. Loved it. Once I could stand up on my own, we went for a little walk. When on the walk, we ran into a Turkish man who had been living there for the past two years. We ended up talking to this crazy guy for 45 minutes. He really was crazy but he said some thought provoking things. He kept talking about how addiction will ruin your life. The three worst addictions are consumerism, drugs, and sex. It was a conversation I will never forget. On Saturday we got up early and took a boat ride around Lake Atitlan. Talk about perfect. The scenery was amazing and the temperature was perfect. I could have stayed in that moment forever. We got off the boat in San Marcos de la Laguna. It is a tiny lake town that was AMAZING. We decided that is where we will live when we retire. It was warm, beautiful, so friendly, and no pollution!! There is only one dirt road that passed through the town (we only saw three cars the whole 4 hours we were there) and the rest of the town has beautiful foot paths everywhere. We ate a delicious breakfast there and then went exploring. I have been craving retirement ever since! Once we returned to Panajachel we had another amazing meal and spent more time exploring. On the way home I experienced the second worst bus ride of my life. It started to DUMP rain. We had a bus driver who was, at the most, 14 years old. The mountain literally was falling into the road. The four lane highway turned into a two lane river. The driver kept texting and talking on his phone during the madness! Don´t be surprised if when I get home I never ride a bus again!
Lake Atitlan and two of the surrounding volcanoes.

Can you imagine living here? Oh, man it was beautiful!

Delicious breakfast. No, I do not eat the benedryl cream but it goes with me everywhere. Side note: I had to take a bleach bath and wash myself in anti-flea dog shampoo the other day because the bugs will not leave me alone!!! Disgusting, I know.

This is one of the foot paths in San Marcos de la Laguna. Gorgeous, eh?

We met these kids in San Marcos de la Laguna. For their pure entertainment they were throwing a rock at a can sitting on the wall. We gave it a shot and were horrible. This girl did not miss once! Pretty impressive.

This was a sign in the garden at our hotel. Pretty funny!!

1 comment:

  1. That first picture is amazing! The water is so pretty!! I think you should retire there, then we can visit! That looks so fun. Ummm...pretty much peed my pants hearing about your bath. LOL! So funny. Sorry though. Why can't you eat salad, btw? I will have Scott tell me what that sign says too!

    ReplyDelete