Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Two Brown Birds

On Monday I went on strike from the motorbike. I decided to walk home instead of ride the bike because I hate it. I also didn´t want to ride the bus alone in fear that I would communicate incorrectly. The only thing is that now that we live with Lily, the house is much further away from our past hotel. So, right as I was enjoying my walk it started to rain, like always these days. I went inside of a mini-mall and decided to study and hang out until the rain chilled out a bit. As I was sitting there I noticed two brown birds about three feet away from me, both the same size, but one light brown and the other dark brown. As I watched these brown birds I noticed that the light brown was flapping its wings like crazy in a nervous or hurt kind of way. The dark brown bird was going around picking up crumbs and feeding them to his friend. I was kind of shocked to see that because most animals care about feeding themselves first (unless they have babies, which this wasn´t). I almost started to cry at the charity and love this bird was showing it´s friend. I then realized the symbolism these birds played in my life! When I came to Guatemala I was hoping to be the dark brown bird that would come to this country and help all the light brown birds in need. Boy was I wrong. It has been the complete opposite. I have been a helpless little brown bird since I arrived and the people have been the dark brown birds. I have been taken under the wing of these people, been taken care of and loved. The people here have helped me to realize the person I am and the person I want to be. I have so many faults that I want to and hope to change (stating the obvious, I know) and I feel like this journey has helped me begin that process. I regret not being more of a dark brown bird but hope that the things I have learned here will help others down the road.
What kind of bird are you??

1 comment:

  1. You ARE the dark bird! Everyone switches sometimes though...we are light and dark. Just like getting a tan! We all have our times to be dark. I just wish mine was more often. Literally. I wish I could go tanning ;)

    ReplyDelete