Monday, May 9, 2011

Church

Yesterday we attended our new ward for the first time. The first thing I noticed was that there was no carpet, just tile in the whole building. Come to find out that carpet is no where to be found in this country. Next, the chairs were the plastic stackable chairs-no pews. The opening hymn started by the music director singing an introduction and we all started after her-no piano. However, we did get some cassette tape backup as the day went on. They are singing fools down here, we probably sang 15 songs during church! The youth speaker spoke for a good 25 minutes! I have never seen a youth talk that much in church....ever! He spoke longer than the adults. I couldn't understand him but you could tell he was passionate about what he was talking about. Sunday school was more singing and a lesson I didn't understand-give me time peeps. During relief society I felt so welcome! I was sitting next to a lady with a very healthy mustache and another that had no teeth. It made me a little less self conscious about the big zit i had. Beauty is not a thing of importance down here, its so nice not to have that pressure. With that said, they still are some of the most beautiful people I´ve ever been around. The primary children came in during R.S. and sang us a song for Mother's Day-ssssoooooo cute!  We stayed after church because there was a baptism for an older gentleman. They do all of the baptisms after church on Sundays and the bishop will do the baptising. The man did not have the support of his family but he still went through with it.They did not hesitate to get Ben and I involved in the ward-Ben sang at the baptism! It was cool. I was asked to attend the High Priest activity on Wednesday-weird, I know. I am going to play my violin for them for part of the activity. Wish me luck....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I love your comment on the "healthy mustache." I am so jealous. It sounds beautiful. I would be in heaven surrounded by all the spanish and dark haired folks :)
    Keep the stories coming. This blog will be so fun to print when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! you made me laugh so hard!! I remember my home ward being that way to a T!! I'm glad you guys are going to be able to help in the ward. Ben will be high priest in no time.
    What a great idea for you to take your violin with you! I bet people its going to love it.
    Take care of yourself.
    Lore

    ReplyDelete