Monday, May 23, 2011

Santa María & Santiaguito - (12,372 ft)

   Hey there. Sorry it´s been a few days since I have had a post. It can be difficult to get access to a computer sometimes. What a crazy and fun weekend we had!  Friday we spent half the day going from market to market to get fresh ingredients...love it. We made fresh pico and guacamole (or guatemole if you prefer). We also found my new favorite place for hot chocolate. The BEST hot cocoa in the world. Not even kidding. Its a 5th generation, family owned, all organic chocolate shop!! YUM!!
   Saturday was the big adventure however. We climbed the Santa Maria which is an inactive volcano. It was a major kick in the pants!!! I still can´t go up and down stairs very fast, it was so steep! We started on the trailhead about 8am and got down at 3:30pm. Once we got to the top there wasn´t much to view because we were surrounded by clouds. A bit disappointing, considering the whole point of climbing it is so that you can look down into an active volcano (the Santiaguito). Well, can´t say we didn´t try. It was worth it though. The whole bottom half of the mountain is covered in farms. It blew me away that these crazy farmers climb that far everyday to take care of their farm. The extra cool thing was that when we started out in the morning it was super misty and so magical! It was incredible to see the farmers working in the fog (check out photos for coolness).
 On Sunday we had church as normal. They gave Ben two callings (haha, thats what happens when you speak the language). One is to teach Sunday School and the other...you´ll never guess.....choir director! HA! Cracks me up. We had choir practice yesterday and all I will say is it is going to take a miracle from above to make it so these people can hold a tune! No joke. They don´t hesitate to ask me to do things as well, such as pray and read scriptures. When I read,  I know they are laughing at me in their heads but I give it a good Annie try.
Hope all is going well with everyone at home. We miss you all!
This equals...

This! Delicious!

Warning: possibly the cutest thing you will ever see!! We saw this pup and her mama at the base of the trailhead. This alone was worth the trip there.

Misty morning.

Farmer working away. Isn´t this pic so cool?

These guys are crazy. They haul these gigantic loads of wood on their backs down the mountain to sell. I thought I had it bad...

Yeah! Finally to the top! For our reward, we took one of these....

siesta.

No comments:

Post a Comment