Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My brain is toast.

This week in my Spanish class, I pretty much just stare at my teacher, unable to say anything. I think I have reached my max with Spanish words. It´s frustrating learning a new language. I don´t want to give up but I feel like it might be time to accept that I don´t have the gift of languages. Ugh.
Monday night we had a fun experience. We went to Lily´s house for FHE. It was her family, another family that had three kids and us. I was asked to pray (of course) and Lily gave the lesson. It was a good time. Lily made yummy food afterwards-she is an awesome cook! Lily´s husband, Fernando drove us home that evening and told an interesting story. He told us about three years ago when he lost his job. He said he remembered waking up one morning, looking at Lily and asking what they could possibly feed their kids because they had no food. Lily remembered that her mom had given them a box of brownie mix. They made the brownies and went door to door selling them until they had sold them all. They used the money they earned to buy food for the day. Can you even imagine???? Fernando said that when he went to church the next day that he had an overwhelming feeling that things would be fine....and they were. The amount of faith these people have, blow me away. The thing I extra love about Lily and Fernando is that they are hands down the most giving people I have EVER met. They would give you the shirt off their back to help you. They are such neat people to be around and learn from.
Last night, we went to our church because our friend, Bryan was being set apart as a missionary. He left today for Peru. I´m going to miss him a lot because he is the only person in our ward that speaks English. Down here, when they set someone apart as a missionary, it’s a big stinkin deal. The whole ward comes and they have a program and refreshments. Ben and I were asked to sing. UH, it went ok. Afterwards, everyone lined up to shake the new elder´s hand. I felt like I was at a wedding reception for a minute while I was waiting in that line. It was a good time.
The most frustrating thing about this place is the time system they run off. For example, last night at the church, the program was supposed to start at 7:00pm but didn´t start until 8:00. That is actually early for them-they usually start things 2-3 hours late. BUG ME! Oh well. I think I am extra bugged because I have gotten very little sleep in the past 3 days.
I have really enjoyed the experiences we have had the past couple days. It has really made me appreciate what I have and what I know.

1 comment:

  1. That's such a sad story for the cute family you love. I can't even imagine!
    I would feel the same way about the timing issues. I hate being late!!
    Have you gotten any of my emails?

    ReplyDelete