Thursday, June 9, 2011

Random thoughts..

So, a couple things I didn´t mention about our trip. While in Semuc Champey, we met a zoologist, Australian named Rossy that was possibly the coolest person ever. He has been traveling for four months. He started at the tip of Chile, gone through all of South America, is now in Central America and will end up in New York....all on a motorbike. He takes each day as it presents itself and doesn´t make plans, so that when his plans change, there will be no disappointment. It was fascinating to me. He had such a positive outlook on life. Ben and I couldn´t stop asking him questions. Then, when at the Rio Dulce, we met a Swiss couple that had recently retired that have been traveling for over a year-starting in the states and will end up in South America. They travel a little more luxurious than Rossy by renting cars and what not. They plan to be away from home and their family for over two years. So, why do I tell you these things? First, so that I don´t  look quite as crazy to my Mom and Dad and second, because it was thrilling to be around people that have such a desire to experience new things.
Since returning from last weekend’s trip I have felt a bit overwhelmed with Spanish- While attempting to study yesterday I had a breakdown. My brain was so overwhelmed at that moment with new words that it caused me to forget everything I had learned.  There are times that I sometimes forget English also. I just sit there as if I am a mute. Ugh.
Last night my school had a ping pong tournament. You know Ben and I went! Sadly, I did not make it to the semifinals but Ben did. Unfortunately he did not win. It was a great time. There were some people there that live or die by ping pong. It was so stinking funny to watch them take it so seriously. Oh man-good stuff.
I don´t think Ben and I have mentioned the dogs we adopted while we are here. There is a mama bear, little brown bear, and baby black bear. Every day when walking home we pass their field, give them a good belly rub and they follow us home where we give them some Fruit Loops. Ben and I have been in mourning all day because we got news that baby black was ran over last night. It´s so sad. I decided that my mission in Guatemala is to find a way to help the dogs here. Once I found that out, I will let you know. There has to be something we can do though!
I hope that all is going well at home. Thanks to those of you who have written us emails-you have no idea how much that lifts us up!

2 comments:

  1. Annie and Ben, Just to let you know a few new things.Pat called and said Kellie had her baby/c section. She was upside down. She weighted 7lbs 12 oz. 18 Inches long. She looks like a doll( I saw a picture of Julie with her on facebook. Kami had her baby boy too. I can't remember how much he weighted.
    Tj graduation went great. The party Sunday for him and the twins went well. The dogs are fine too. We've just been working as always. Love Mom& Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to get account and I don't know whats happened. So thats why it's on Ryan's. Sounds like your having a great time seeing everything. I hope that you take lots of pictures. It sounds like your also, meeting a lot of people. I'm Glad you and Ben have this chance to do this. Well,I guess I'll go give the three dogs a bath. Sounds fun, well life goes on. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete