Thursday, June 23, 2011

What we do....

I have received a couple emails lately from people asking what exactly it is that we do down here. Makes sense, I haven´t really talked about it much. The organization Cause For Hope opened up an academy down here that teaches English and computer skills. The purpose of the CFH opening the academy is to generate money that will provide for the loans that CFH gives out. Have I lost you yet? CFH gives out microloans to people that have businesses down here. Anything from a tortilla shop to water purification and everything in between. Right now, all the money that is given as microloans are from donations given to CFH in the states. CFH hopes that eventually it does not have to rely on donations, but it could self sustain by the academy´s profit.

So, Ben and I work at the academy, teaching English Monday-Thursday. Ben works from 8:30am- 5:00pm. I get there at 12:30 after my Spanish classes and finish up the day with him. On Fridays we are scheduled to go with the people that run CFH in this area and check on loan recipients and meet with people who are interested in receiving a loan. So far, we have not gone with CFH every Friday, but we try. It´s a sad gig seeing these people with businesses that they want to succeed so bad (mainly so they can feed themselves) but might not have all the right equipment.

Saturday and Sunday are our free days to go explore, which we usually do. This Saturday we have an exciting adventure planned!!! It´s a secret though-you will have to wait until Monday to find out what it is. I can tell you that it is the last thing I EVER imagined doing here....EVER!! I´m amazed that it even exists here!

As for this evening, we are having the sister missionaries over for dinner like we do every week. One of the missionaries is new, as in this is her 2nd week in the mission. She is kind of strange because she is terrified of Ben. We eat dinner with them and then Ben is supposed to help this missionary with her English and the other missionary helps me with my Spanish. She really struggles looking at Ben, let alone practicing a foreign language with him! I wish you could see it in action.

Anyway, have an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment